My Aunt Jean gave my mom this recipe and she passed it on to me. Best meatloaf ever! Comfort food at its best.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 slices fresh bread, crumbled
- 1 onion; chopped (my kids aren’t big on the big white ‘things’ in the meatloaf, so I cut this down to 1/2 onion and add some onion powder to the mix.
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Beat eggs in bowl with fork. Add milk, salt, pepper and bread. Beat this until bread disintegrates
- Add onion, carrot, cheese and beef. Mix well. Pack into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 1/2 hours. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Can be made and frozen or baked and then frozen.
My Aunt Jean mixes up a sauce with a bit of mustard (about 1 T), some ketchup (1 T) and brown sugar (I think it’s around 1-2 tsp).
Mix and pour over meatloaf with about 10 minutes left in the baking time.
This gives the meatloaf a nice taste. My kids don’t care for the sauce, however.
They just add ketchup and I try not to watch…