This is a great meal for a cold winter day… or a cold spring day if you live where I live!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 can (16 oz) stewed tomatoes; divided (I prefer the diced tomatoes)
- 2 Tbsp dry beef stock (OXO, Bisto, etc.) or dry beef gravy mix
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp each salt, pepper, garlic
- Couple of dashes Worchester sauce
- 1-2 tsp butter
- dash of paprika (optional)
- Boil potatoes in salted water about 20 minutes or until tender. Mash, adding butter and milk.
- While potatoes are cooking – brown beef in pan on medium heat. Drain off fat.
- Add tomatoes, dry beef stock, corn and seasonings. Heat through and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Place hamburger mix in casserole dish, add potatoes as topping.
- Spread a little butter on top, sprinkle with paprika.
- Place in 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Turn broiler on for 5 minutes to brown potatoes – watch so it doesn’t burn!
Hubby looooves this. Especially with hot sauce. I try not to get insulted when he pours a bunch of sauce over my shepherd’s pie.
Two out of three of the kids will eat it and one of them will actually say it’s really good (especially with ketchup on it). In my book, this is a success!