You read the title right. And I did it. I tried it.
My friend showed me this recipe a while ago for chocolate chip cookies… with bacon.
Not sure who thought this one up, or why they even figured it would work. All I can say is that bacon with anything can NOT ever ever be bad. So I baked some up the other day.
But to be honest, I couldn’t really taste the bacon in the cookie. When I did actually get a piece of bacon, it was more of a jarring sort of, ‘hold up, wait a minute there, what the heck is in my cookie’ sort of sensation.
But the true bacon-y flavour didn’t seem to come through for me. I was a little bummed.
Basically all I ended up doing was adding more fat to my cookie, really. Oh well, live and learn. Give these a try if you’re curious though! They’re still delicious cookies and everyone loved them – bacon and all!
makes 24+ cookies
- For the candied bacon:
- 8 slices center cut thick bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- For the cookies:
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bacon in a single layer on a foil lined sheet.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top of bacon strips. Bake for 18-25 minutes or until crispy, making sure to turn bacon over after 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack for cooling. Once bacon has cooled chop it finely.
- Keep the oven at 350 degrees.
- Sift flour and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter with the white and brown sugar.
- Add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk to the bowl and beat until light and creamy.
- Add flour mixture and mix well.
- Add diced candied bacon and chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- With a teaspoon, scoop out balls of dough on a cookie sheet. I baked these for 9 minutes and 20 seconds – I really like soft, chewy cookies. Or you can just bake until the edges are brown. Remove from oven and let cookies sit on the pan for a couple of minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool.
Excerpted from Tablespoon website: http://quick-dish.tablespoon.com/2011/02/09/candied-bacon-chocolate-chip-cookies/